( South Indian yellow lentil curry with spinach)
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 150 g toor dal Sambar parippu / (lentil)
- 2 cups Spinach / Cheera
- 1 teaspoon Chilly powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup coconut grated
- 3 - 4 nos shallots
- 2 pinchs cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- Clean and soak yellow lentil in water for 1 hour.
- in a pressure cooker add lentil,chilly powder,turmeric powder ,salt and sufficient water.
- after one or two whistles switch off the stove.let the pressure goes naturally(dal should be cooked well).
- open the pressure cooker lid and slightly mash cooked lentil.then add chopped spinach in to it mix well.
- cook for few minutes.do not over cook spinach.
- grind coconut, shallot and cumin seed together and make a fine paste.
- add little water in to it mix well and add this to cooked lentil and spinach.the curry should not be too thick or too watery so add more water if required (add warm water).check salt consistency add if needed.
- stir well,let it boil.once the curry boil well stir gently and remove from fire.
- heat oil in a pan splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,saute for few minutes.add this to the gravy.
- serve hot with rice.
Leave a Reply