Hi today I am sharing the recipe of Meen Peera Vattichathu or Fish With Coconut.It is a very popular dish in Kerala.This dish is very easy to make and very healthy too.Small kind of fish cooked with grated coconut, green chili and cocum(kudam puli).
The fish that is usually used for this dish is anchovies or sardine.This dish is very easy to make and tastes so good.I usually makes this curry in clay pot for the authentic taste.You should prepare this dish few hours before serving so that the fish absorb all the flavors by the time it is served.This dish is perfect with rice.
People called this dish in different names like meen peera pattichathu,Podimeen peera pattichathu etc.You can use raw mangoes instead of cocum(kudam puli).So here is the recipe of delicious Kerala special Meen peera pttichathu.Try it and let me know how it turns out for you.enjoy…….
click here for the vedio recipe:-Meen Peera vattichathu
Looking for some other anchovies recipe check this- Kerala style Natholi fry
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 350 g Natholi/anchovies
- 10 shallot/Madras onion keep half whole and half sliced in to lengthwise.
- 5-6 green chili/kanthari mulaku sliced length wise
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 3 cocum/kudampuli soaked in to lukewarm water
- ginger one small piece cut in to long thin pieces
- 4 cloves garlic cut in to small long pieces
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 small sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt as needed
- water as needed
- Clean fish wash with salt and water and keep aside(use whole if you are using natholi or small fish)
- In a blender add half of the shallot(five shallots),few garlic and turmeric powder,then grind it together .add the grated coconut and gently crush no need to grind well.
- Take a clay pot then add cocum, curry leaves and green chili,then add cleaned fish, ginger and remaining garlic,then add grated coconut and salt.mix well with your hands.
- add 1/4 cup water and cook covered for 15 minutes.gently stir in between.
- once fish cooked well switch off the stove, then add 2 tbsp coconut oil.just swirl the pot then immediately cover with the lid and keep aside for 2-3 hours .Then enjoy with rice.