hi friends,today’s post is a typical Kerala chicken curry Malabari Chicken:-South Indian Chicken Curry with Roasted Coconut.Its a Malabar version of varutharacha chicken curry.Chicken cooked in an onion and roasted coconut based sauce.very rich,creamy and flavorful curry, perfect accompaniment with pathiri or nan.This is a curry which I make quite often,a family favorite,usually serving with pathiri.
This curry is almost similar like varutharacha chicken curry.but the method of preparation is slightly different.The ingredient list may seems too long but all items are easily available and normal preparation methods.very easy to prepare, tastes really good.Serve it with pathiri or Kerala parota or enjoy with steamed rice.
This is a spicy curry so adjust the amount of chili and spices according to your taste preference.The amount of water is approximate. the curry is not too thick or thin.Here is the recipe try it and please let me know how it turns out for you.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 kg chicken
- 2 nos onion
- 2 tomato (small)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ginger a small piece
- 2 nos green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 chili powder table spoon
- 2 coriander powder table spoon
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups coconut grated
- 4 nos shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- curry leaves a hand full
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For roasting and grinding
- Clean and cut chicken in to small or medium pieces,wash well drain and keep aside
- in a bowl add chili powder, coriander powder,turmeric 1/2teaspoon and salt.mix well add cleaned chicken pieces in to it.marinate the chicken with masala.cover and keep aside
- then wash and slice onion in to thin pieces,slice green chili,slice tomato,crush ginger and garlic.keep aside.
- heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in cooking vessel add sliced onion in to the hot oil, saute well until soft,then add crushed ginger,garlic and sliced green chili.Saute till onion become light brown.then add tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- then add marinated chicken pieces and pepper powder in to it toss well for 5 minutes.then add sufficient water(approximately 1-11/4 cup).mix well check salt and add more if needed.cover with a lid.cook in a medium flame .
- mean time heat heat oil in another pan, add grated coconut and roast in a low flame till fragrant then add fennel seeds, curry leaves,shallots and turmeric powder. roast well until coconut become brown
- then remove the roasted coconut from pan,add sufficient water and grind to a fine paste.
- once the chicken cooked well add garam masala and the ground paste along with 1 1/2-2 cup waterapproximately.
- cook in a medium flame and let it boil well. stir in between
- then switch off the stove keep it aside.heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan,add chopped shallots and curry leaves fry well and add this to the curry.
- serve with Pathiri