Malabar Chicken Roll Recipe or Chicken pan roll is a Deep fried savory crepe rolls with Kerala style chicken filling.A delicious and popular Malabar snack.This Malabar chicken roll is similar to Chinese egg rolls.
This chicken roll is very Popular in Kerala.this is available in almost all bakeries with different types of filling,this pan rolls are almost similar to Chinese egg rolls but instead of using the wrappers a thin pan cake is used,inside filling you can make according to your preference. I used chicken filling because I like it very much.For making this Malabar chicken roll you have to make the crepes first, then fill it with prepared filling, then fold.After that dip in to egg white,then roll on to bread crumbs and deep fry,the recipe seems little long but this is so easy to make.
these rolls are not very crispy like egg rolls, but these are slightly crispy and juicy.so here is the recipe of Malabar chicken roll.Try it and let me know how it turns out for you.
- 200 g boneless chicken
- 1-2 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 4-5 green chili crushed or thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- egg white of 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs to coat
- oil to fry the pan cakes
For the filling
- Clean and wash chicken,then cook with little pepper ,one pinch of turmeric and salt.once done let it cool and shred in to small pieces,then keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a kadai or non stick pan,when oil become hot add finely chopped onion,saute well until onion become soft and translucent.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and crushed chili ,saute until raw smell goes.Then add garam masala, turmeric powder and cumin powder,saute well and add shredded chicken.stir to combine. Then check salt add if needed,cover with a lid and cook 2-3 minutes over low flame.
- Then remove the lid, stir well and switch off the stove.
- In a large bowl add flour,egg, salt and water blend well with out leaving any lumps or blend in a mixer and make smooth batter.(Keep little batter aside for sealing the pan rolls)
- Heat a non stick pan or dosa kallu ,pour one ladle of batter and make thin crepes .
- Take a flat plate, place one crepe and place two teaspoon of prepared filling on the top middle portion of the pan cake.
- fold the top edge of the pan cake over the filling then fold the sides towards the center.Then roll tightly.Seal the bottom edge with prepared dough.Do this till pancakes finished.
- In a bowl add egg whites and in another flat bowl add the bread crumbs.then take one pan roll dip in to egg white,coat well with bread crumbs.keep it aside in a dry plate, do this until all rolls finished,
- then heat oil in a deep bottom pan over medium heat and deep fry the pan rolls until golden.serve with your favorite dip.