Pepper chicken is a very easy and simple preparation of chicken,Its a very spicy delight,black pepper and red chili are the main spices.and it has a delicious flavor of cumin,fennel and curry leaves.there are different varieties of pepper chicken ,Chinese,Kerala,Chettinadu etc,This spicy delight is from chettinadu cuisine,one of my favorite cuisines,I like most of the savory treats from chettinadu cuisine….
Pachadi is the traditional south Indian side dish and it is a part of Kerala Sadya. There are different varieties of pachadis,Today’s recipe is beetroot pachadi.
Pachadi is preparing with fresh vegetables ,coconut. green chili and curd.These are the key ingredients.Finely cooked vegetables mixed with curd and coconut paste then tampered in oil with fried mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pachadi isusually serves with rice…
( Fried Karimeen/pearl spot/green chromide in coconut milk and red curry sauce)
karimeen or pearl spot is a favorite fish of Keralites and it is the official state fish.This fleshy and oval shaped fish is a fresh water fish and it is found in through out Kerala especially back waters of Kottayam and Alapuzha.This oval shaped fish got its name because of the white shiny diamond like spots over its body….
Kozhi Ada (Koyiada or Savory chicken or meat pockets)
Kozhi Ada is another Malabar special crispy delight.This traditional Malabar Moplah snack is a savory crisp pockets filled with chicken/meat.this super crunchy folded pockets are similar to samosas,but the filling and shape is different.the traditional kozhiada’s are really small….
Kerala style Nadan kozhi curry
This home raised/Nadan chicken curry is one of the traditional mouth watering recipes from my “ammas” collections.Its very simple and a healthy recipe.its a curry made from fresh home made ingredients like home raised chicken,fresh home made coconut oil,fresh curry leaves and fresh spices….
Stir fried bitter gourd
Bitter gourd fried with coconut flakes ,green chili and curry leaves.a perfect crunch and simple Kerala side dish usually served with rice and moru curry.
the preparation steps are very simple,the combination of bitter guard and coconut flakes are really mouthwatering .The flavor of curry leaves and green chili gives a special taste and coconut offsets the bitterness,goes well with rice and simple moru curry….
Avial (North Kerala style)
mixed vegetables with crushed coconut and thick curd.
Avial is a traditional dish of Kerala.its an integral part of the traditional Kerala sadya.It has many variations and it is one of the easiest vegetable dishes to make….
chicken 65 is one of my favorite starters,this delicious, deep fried and spicy chicken dish originating from Chennai,South India as an entree or quick snack.There are so many variations of chicken 65 but the main ingredient is red chili.The origin of chicken 65 is a bit of confusing there are many different stories claiming its origins….
Olan is a simple,less spicy and traditional side dish of Kerala(South India).It is usually served as a part of sadya (traditional vegetarian feast of Kerala,India)). Olan is made with ash gourd/winter melon,black eyed beans and coconut milk. So enjoy the unique taste of Olan…………..
Kottayam Fish Curry Or Meen Vevichathu
Kottayam Fish Curry or red curry fish or Meen vevichathu is very popular fish curry in the Travancore region of Kerala.This is an everyday fish curry.Fish cooked with chili and tamarind based gravy with shallots, curry leaves,ginger and garlic.This spicy red curry fish is perfectly goes with steamed rice or boiled tapioca.
This spicy and delicious fish curry is called meen vevichathu in Kottayam and its usually cooking in earthen pots with chili and coccum.this curry tastes best after one day.You can keep it in 2-3 days in room temperature.reheat it every morning and enjoy with rice or tapioca or puttu.
In this curry Neimeen is usually using but i used here king fish locally called Motha or Ayakura.You can use any of your favorite fish but preferably big type and fleshy fish.So here is the recipe try it and let me know how it turns out for you..
Check my other fish recipes here:-https://www.sujiscooking.com/category/seafood
Check vedio recipe here:-
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 600 g fish
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 1 ginger medium piece
- 15 nos shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder kashmeeri
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups water warm
- soak gambooge in 1/4 cup water for 15-20 minutes.
- clean and cut fish in to medium thick pieces.wash with water and salt.keep aside
- clean and chop shallot,garlic and ginger keep aside.
- in a bowl add chili powder and turmeric powder,add 2-3 table spoon water mix well and make a paste.
- heat oil in a fish curry pot,splutter fenugreek seeds,then add curry leaves and saute well
- then add 3/4 of the chopped shallot and saute for few minutes. then add 3/4 of ginger and garlic,saute until every thing become light brown
- then add chili and turmeric paste.saute well until oil separates, you will get a nice aroma.
- Then add gambooge along with water(gambooge soaked water) and fish pieces.mix well(don't use spoon ,just swirl the pot).
- add 1 sprig if curry leaves,salt and water.cover with a lid and cook until fish is done and the gravy become thick(approximately 15 -20 minutes in a medium -low flame.swirl the pot in between) .
- heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds,then add curry leaves.saute well then add chopped shallot. saute well till shallot become soft .then add garlic and ginger,saute well until it become brown.
- add this to the gravy.
- serve wit rice or tapioca