( Fried Karimeen/pearl spot/green chromide in coconut milk and red curry sauce)
karimeen or pearl spot is a favorite fish of Keralites and it is the official state fish.This fleshy and oval shaped fish is a fresh water fish and it is found in through out Kerala especially back waters of Kottayam and Alapuzha.This oval shaped fish got its name because of the white shiny diamond like spots over its body.
Karimeen was officialy announced as the state fish of Kerala in the year 2010.Karimeen is a an expensive fish and this hot delicacy is a top item in most of the restaurant menus.A boat ride in the back waters while relishing the karimeen pollichathu or karimeen fry is an integral part of an average tourist’s Kerala experience.
Karimeen is an extremely tasty fish and its must try item.This is a recipe I inspired by my best friend Liza Marium George’s mother Mrs.Ponnamma George.Mummy is a very good cook and I am a big fan of her neimeen charu curry,kadumanga achar and neimeen pickle.
We can cook karimeen in different ways,karimeen fry and karimeen pollichathu are the most demanding items.Actually I planned to prepare karimeen pollichathu.but Plantain leafs are not always available here.So I prepared this Karimeen masala.Here is the recipe………..
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1/2 cup shallot sliced
- 1/2 ginger crushed table spoon
- 1/2 garlic crushed table spoon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 - 3 nos green chili
- 1 tomato nose
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 nos gamboog
- coconut oil
For the gravy
- soak gamboog in 1/2 cup water for 15 minutes.
- clean karimeen well,wash it(use salt and water) and make small gashes on it.keep aside.
- In a bowl add chili powder, turmeric powder,pepper powder,salt,lemon juice and coconut oil .mix well along with 1 teaspoon water and make smooth paste.
- marinate karimeen with this paste.and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- mean time chop shallot,slit green chili length wise and chop tomato.
- heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated karimeen,both sides .
- mean time switch on the other stove ,heat oil in a pan ,add green chili,curry leaves and shallot.saute well until shallot become soft,then add ginger and garlic saute well until the raw smell goes.
- add chopped tomato.saute well till puree comes out.
- then add red chili powder,turmeric and salt(add less salt because the fried fish is also salty) along with gamboog along with water.Saute for few minutes till the raw smell goes.
- then add thick coconut milk.cook well in a medium flame till the gravy become thick(stir occasionally).
- then add the shallow fried fish to the masala along with two teaspoon fish fried oil.cover the fish with masala ,then cover with a lid.
- cook few more minutes in a low flame .let the fish absorbs the masala and coconut milk.switch of the stove.
- serve with rice or appam or chapati.
Leave a Reply