hi today’s recipe is a delicious Kerala Style Cabbage Thoran,Thoran means typical Kerala style dry curry preparation.It is usually making with seasonal vegetables. Thoran is a must item in every day Kerala lunch. Thoran is serving as an accompaniment with rice and other curries.This thoran is easy to make and delicious,shredded Cabbage mixed with grated coconut,green chili, onion,and curry leaves then cooked in coconut oil.
cooking this dish is very easy but do not add additional water while cooking this dish.The cabbage cooks in its own steam.Over cooked cabbage will become soggy and tasteless.
so here is the recipe of my simple and delicious Kerala style cabbage thoran.try it and enjoy……
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 600 g cabbage
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup coconut fresh grated
- 1 nos onion
- 2 - 4 nos green chili
- 1 ginger small piece finely chopped
- curry leaves few
- coconut oil as as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeeds
- 2 pinchs turmeric powder
- 1 nos red chili whole sliced
- salt as needed
- Remove damaged outer leaves of cabbage,rinse and wash well, drain water completely.then finely chop and keep aside.wash and thinly slice onion and green chili.
- in a large bowl add grated coconut,sliced green chili,sliced onion and grated ginger.then add chopped cabbage and salt in to it.mix every thing together with your hands and keep aside.
- heat coconut oil in a heavy bottom pan or karahi over a medium heat.when oil become hot add mustard seeds,when the seeds starts to splutter add curry leaves and sliced chili fry for few seconds .then add turmeric powder and stir for few more seconds.
- now add the cabbage and stir well ,keep every thing in the center of the pan and cook covered over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until just done.please do not over cook the cabbage.
- remove the lid and stir for one more minute.switch of the stove.
- serve with steamed rice and Poppadom or serve as accompaniment with rice and other curries
The take it easy chef says
Love the pictures! Good recipe.
Sundari Giri says
Yes Suji, lovely pictures, you have elevated a simple dish with these awesome pictures. Love the jute cloth, traditional pickle pot, and the bamboo lid that you have used as props
Sujitha Nair says
thank you Arun
Sujitha Nair says
thank you so much dear Sundari.