(Prawns in red chili and tamarind based red curry sauce)
I am here with another prawns recipe,The delicious and famous Malabar prawns curry or prawns mulakitathu.Prawns cooked in a spicy red chili and tamarind based gravy.A very common and every day fish preparation.You can use any other fish for making this curry.this curry goes well with rice,tapioca or chapati.
There are varieties of fish curries in Kerala,when it comes to sea food both North and South Kerala preparation method are different.This is typical Malabar prawns curry not much difference from my other mulakitathu recipes.
fenugreek is a main ingredient because it give a special flavor and smell.and the tamarind here used is not gambooge,its Malabar tamarind.
Fish curry or fish mulakitathu is a must item in our every day menu.last week we bought one box of prawns from Deira fish market,so these days I have more prawns recipes.when we go market buying large quantity is always coast saving.The preparation methods are very simple,and the curry is very very tasty(said by my husband and family.I never eat prawns).so just try it and let me know how it turns out.here is the recipe of yummy prawns Malabari.
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 20 nos Prawns medium size
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Cocont oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Fenu greek
- 1/2 cup Shallot chopped
- 2 nos Tomato
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger,garlic Crushed & nbsp ; each
- 3 nos Green chili
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- Tamarind gooseberry size
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup waterfor 15 to 30 minute and extract the juice and keep aside
- clean ,de shell and de vein prawns.(keep head and tail if you wish).wash well and keep aside
- clean wash and slice tomato,wash and slit green chili.
- heat oil in a fish curry pot.(clay pot,mun chatty).splutter fenugreek seeds
- Then add chopped shallot and curry leaves,saute well till shallot become soft
- once shallot become soft add crushed ginger and garlic ,then add green chili.saute till raw smell goes.
- then add cleaned and sliced tomato
- saute well till puree comes out
- reduce heat ,then add chili powder and turmeric powder
- saute well till oil separates
- Add sufficient amount of water,and tamarind.cook till the gravy become thick.stir in between
- then add cleaned prawns
- cook till prawns done (approximately 8-10 minutes,please do not over cook prawns it will make them tough)
- once prawns cooked well add a sprig of curry leaves and 1 table spoon oil.check salt consistency add if needed
- delicious prawns curry is ready to serve.transfer to a serving bowl then serve with rice or tapioca or chapathi.
I used 1.5-2 cup water approximately,you can adjust as per your thickness preference curry is not too thick or too thin.medium thickness.cook curry well and get desired thickness before you add prawns.
adjust chili and tamarind as per your preference.
Richa Gupta says
This looks like a fiery Prawn curry! I have some prawns sitting in the fridge right now and I might just try this out 🙂
Sujitha Nair says
Glad to here that Richa.this is really spicy.please let me know how it turns out
sreeja nair says
I I tried this recipe …. Really yummy …. Thanks for the recipe !!!
Sujitha Nair says
Happy to here that Sreeja.Thanks for trying my recipes
Supriya Kutty says
Yum! It’s looking so tempting and so juicy. I just love prawns. I just can’t wait to try this recipe at home. I have my own way to prepare it, but I just love your method of making it. I will try this and let you know. Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe. Take care.