Neipathiri/Neipathal Recipe(Kerala style rice puri)) is a very popular traditional Malabar delicacy,its a deep fried rice bread almost same like puri.You can have it as breakfast or dinner or as an Appetizer. Neipathiri is different from pathiri, this is making with parboiled rice where as pathiri is making with roasted rice powder’.
Neipathiri is a favorite of the Muslims of Malabar,Its an inevitable item in special occassions and Iftar.Neipathiri is making with parboiled rice, coconut,onion and aniseed. The dove is almost same like Kakkaroti but the preparation is entirely different.Usually neipathiri is serving with beef curry or chicken curry.
You can have it as breakfast or dinner or as an Appetizer. So here is the recipe of Malabar favoriteNeipathiri/Neipathal Recipe(Kerala style deep fried Rice Pan cakes).Try it and enjoy…
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 1/2 cup boiled rice ponni or us style
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 3/4 tsp aniseed(perum jeerakam)
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- oil to fry
- salt as needed
- water as required
- wash rice and soak in hot water for 4-5 hours.drain well and grind along with coconut,onion,salt and aniseed in to a smooth thick and little coarse paste,adding little water.
- Transfer the mixture in to a large bowl and knead well with your hands.if you feel the dough is very loose you can add little rice powder and retain the consistency.the dough should be smooth coarse and thick.
- From the prepared dough take a lemon size ball,place it on a thin plastic sheet or banana leaf,gently flatten it by using your fingers exactly like a poori(puri).
- Heat oil in deep bottom pan(cheena chatti) set over medium flame and gently slide the prepared pathiri in to the hot oil.Turn the pathiri once it puffs up and floats on top.fry to a golden brown.remove and drain.repeat with the remaining dough.
- serve with beef curry or chicken curry or mutton curry
Leave a Reply