Rasm is a quick and healthy Indian soup made with a mild yellow lentil broth and tangy tomatoes with freshly ground black pepper,cumin and fragrant cilantro.This spicy and tangy clear soup is great to ward off cold and flue.
Rasam is an unavoidable principal dish in South Indian cuisine.There are many regional varieties but some ingredients are common like black pepper,cumin,coriander seeds and cilantro.Rasam is also known as Saar,Saarru,Chaaru and pulusu in other languages.
this distinct flavored soup is basically immune boosting and it has great healing powers.In Sanskrit rasam means essence.its very good for digestion .Rasam also helps to clear sinus.
Rasam is an ultimate comfort food for many South Indians.We Malayalis always like simple meals like rice,rasam,mezhukkupurati and pappadam.
this is a perfect soup for cold and flu seasons. warm rasam is a perfect way to end the meals.so here is the recipe .take a tumbler ladle some rasam and enjoy it.
please check video recipe here:-South Indian Rasam
note:-Adjust chili and tamarind based on your preference.i always add more coriander leaves and I prefer adding tomatoes at the end.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds finely crushed
- 3/4-1 tbsp black pepper whole finely crushed
- 10 Madras onion (shallot) crushed
- 3-4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds finely crushed
- tamarind one small ball lemon size
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curryleaves
- 2 tomatoes ripe
- 3 redchili whole
- 2 cup lentil broath (Parippuvellam)
- coriander leaves one handful
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tsp Asofoetida powder
- jaggery a very small piece cushed
- 3/4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt as needed
- 1 cup water
- soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water,slice tomatoes in to medium pieces.
- Heat a thick and deep bottom vessel over medium flame.once the oil become hot add coconut oil,once the oil become hot add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.
- Then add curry leaves and red chili.saute for a minute,then add tomatoes and saute well until it become soft.
- Then add finely crushed coriander seeds and saute for a minute .then add crushed garlic,small onion and cumin seeds.saute for a minute then add crushed black pepper .saute well then add chili powder and turmeric powder.saute well.
- then add tamarind pulp, mix well and add lentil broth and water. mix well add salt and cook over medium flame.
- once it started boiling add asofoetida powder and fenugreek powder mix well and immediately switch off the stove.
- then add very small piece of jaggery and a handful coriander leaves.cover and keep aside for five minutes.then mix well and serve with rice.
Leave a Reply