( healthy iftar drink made with semolina,milk and coconut milk)
Thari kanchi or Thari kachiyathu (semolina porridge) is an inevitable delicacy during Iftar.This healthy and refreshing drink is usually made in the evening while breaking fast.semolina is easily digestible and this drink will give energy and refreshment after a long day fast. this is different from the normal porridge,or I can say this is similar to payasam.
This tharikanchi is very popular in Malappuram, Kozhikode and Kannur.”kadi”is famous in kasaragodu.Kadi is another type of drink making with flour,rice dumpling and banana
The classic tharikanchi is garnished with sauteed onion,but I don’t like the flavor of onion in desserts so I just omit that part.if you like the flavor of onion you can add sauteed onion (small red onion only)along with raisins and cashew nut.we are adding less quantity of semolina and the porridge should have a drinking consistency.and it need to serve hot.here is the recipe………
- In a thick bottom vessel or sauce pan add milk and 2 cup water.
- switch on the stove and boil milk,
- when the milk starts boiling add sugar and semolina.stir well to avoid lumps,reduce the flame.
- stir well until semolina cooks well.add more sugar if needed.then add thick coconut milk.stir well .add cardamom powder and one pinch salt.stir well and remove from fire just before boiling,
- heat ghee in a pan fry cashew nut and raisins add this to thari kanchi.
- serve hot.
If you are using low fat milk no need to add water use 5 cups of milk.
we are using semolina so the drink will thicken after some time so do not use more semolina for instant thickness.
Sundari Giri says
Suji, lovely pictures
Sujitha Nair says
Thank you dear sundari