Hi, today I am here with a very popular Vattayappam/vateyappam recipe. Vattayappam is Kerala’s favorite steamed rice cake and its very popular among all over Kerala. This is a healthy snack very easy to digest,light and delicious.
Vattayappam is basically a rice based tea time snack. The main ingredients are rice, coconut,yeast, sugar and cardamom. Rice and coconut grind together and fermented with yeast. Its a very soft spongy and slightly sweet cake. perfect for tea time.its a classic Kerala tea time snack.
So here is the recipe of traditional vattayappam try it and enjoy..
|Prep Time||15 minues|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 Cup White Rice/ponni pachari/idli rice
- 1 medium coconut grated
- 1/2 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamon powder
- 1 cup coconut water optional
- oil to grease the mold
- salt 2 pinch
- Soak washed rice for about 4 hrs in cold water , Then wash well, drain and keep aside. Soak yeast with 3 tbsp luke warm water and 1 tsp sugar and keep aside.
- from the soaked rice take 2 tbsp rice and grind it in to a coarse powder (consistency of put powder)
- in a sauce pan add 1 cup water and mix the rice powder in to it.bring it to boil over medium flame .Stir continuously until you get a porridge consistency. switch off the stove and keep it aside to cool. this is locally called kappi kachuka.
- Then add half of the coconut in to a blender add 1/4-1/2 cup lukewarm water. blend well then extract coconut milk and keep it aside.Once the kappi become cool add this to the coconut milk mix well and keep aside.
- Then Add soaked rice and remaining coconut, into a blender. Add one cup coconut water or normal water in to it (be careful while adding water as the batter should not become too watery). then grind well in to a smooth batter
- Transfer the batter into a large bowl . Add yeast , sugar and salt,coconut milk and kappi mix.Then mix well together.cover this with a lid and keep it in a warm place for 5-6 hours to ferment.once fermented add cardamom powder and gently mix.
- then grease a stainless steel plate or flat plate or idly mold with little oil. Then spoon in the fermented batter to the plate. (if you prefer garnish with raisins and cashews.)Steam cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5. Once its done, let it cool and serve with tea
Manu Mathew says
Traditional Kerala Snack.One of my Best tea time snack. It is delicious and also healthy
Sujitha Nair says
yes Manu its a classic treat
Sujitha Nair says