(Kerala style Stir fried banana blossom)
I am really lucky I never missed my favorite Kerala foods,Most of the fruits and vegetables are available here in all seasons.But I never get fresh banana blossoms and my favorite raw jack fruit.Here most of the supermarkets are selling all edible parts of plantain but the blossoms always have a bitter taste.But this time I got really fresh homely banana blossom not from local market it is from my home.Amma is really interested in planting vegetables and flowers. we have a very good backyard garden.
In rural Areas of Kerala people normally buying few vegetables from market,Normally they are making vegetable side dishes and curries with fresh vegetables available in their backyard garden.This banana blossom stir fry is a regular lunch item usually serving with steamed rice.you can make it with or without coconut, both tastes so good.
So here is the recipe of healthy and delicious Banana blossom stir fry.
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 1 nos banana flower
- 3 - 4 nos shallot
- 5 nos green chili (kanthari mulaku) optional
- 3 coconut oil table spoon
- 2 nos red chili whole
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Smear your hands with oil.Remove the outer Layers of banana flower until you find the pale color neat layer
- take cold water in a large bowl chop the blossome in to it remove the stigmas in between(only matured florets have stigma)
- chop shallots,break red chili in to few pieces.slit green chili
- heat oil in a skillet or deep pan ,splutter mustard seeds then add chopped shallot and red chili,saute well.
- now take the chopped banana blossom(drain water completely from blossom,squeeze with your hands) and add this to the oil. stir well add salt ,again stir well add sliced green chili.cover with a lid and cook in a medium flame.(cook until the chopped blossom become soft and edible, over cooking may give you a bad bitter taste)
- once done remove the lid and saute in a high flame for one more minute and evaporate excess water.(if you are using coconut add crushed coconut,approximately 1/4 cup for one medium size blossom)
- switch of the stove. serve with rice.
Leave a Reply